Several myths and misconceptions surround
the Arthritis diseases.
1. That Arthritis is a single disease,
whereas in fact there are over 100 varieties.
2. That Arthritis is not treatable, whereas many types are in fact able to be
appropriately treated, in order to maintain function and prevent progression of disease.
3. That Arthritis problems are purely seen in the elderly, whereas in fact many forms
occur in young people and in fact even children.
4. That Arthritis is a benign disease, whereas in fact many sub-types produce significant
morbidity - sickness, and even potential mortality - death.
Rheumatologist is a specialist in disease of bone and joint
In order to best treat these diseases, a
multidisciplinary approach is the most ideal. Care is hence centralized around the
patient, a Rheumatologist, the family Doctor, and allied professionals, including Nurses,
physiotherapists, occupational therapists, orthopaedic Surgeon's, Neurosurgeons,
Neurologist's and General Physician specialists. Such a unit is now constituted at the
Constantia Arthritis Clinic. The clinic is located at Constantiaberg Medi-Clinic, under
the directorship of Dr David Gotlieb, a registered Rheumatologist and Specialist
The Clinic provides:
- Access to full clinical and diagnostic facilities.
- Access to Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Nursing and
Orthopedic workshop facilities.
- Access to a full range of Orthopedic surgeons, specializing
in all the different joints, and with the best Surgical skills, should the need arise.
- Rehabilitation is also a significant aspect of the
facilities available, and we have access to the finest physiotherapists, available,
specialized in Arthritis.
- Full in-patient facilities in the Constantiaberg
Medi-Clinic are available.
Diagnostic facilities, at the hospital, include
- A fine Radiology department, with up to date equipment,
including magnetic resonance.
- Full pathology laboratory facilities.
Ongoing continuing medical education, and a
limited Research program, are actively undertaken.
In addition, the Arthritis Clinic maintains international links via the Internet and has
produced one of the largest Rheumatologist Arthritis websites in the world, maintained by Dr Gotlieb, as